Oral cancer can lead to debilitating pain and discomfort. It can also spread to other areas of the body, including your lymph nodes, jaw, chest, or lungs. If caught in the early stages, oral cancer can usually be treated and eliminated. As much as 90% of oral cancer cases can be handled with early detection. By allowing your dentist to conduct routine screenings, you’re protecting your oral health as well as your overall well-being.
Risks of Oral Cancer
While anyone can develop oral cancer, there are many lifestyle factors and habits that play a part in your risk. Oral cancer most commonly occurs in men aged 40 years and older. The major risk factors of developing oral cancer include:
- Tobacco Use: Those who use chewing tobacco or smoke frequently are at a much higher risk of developing oral cancer.
- Unhealthy Diet: A diet of highly processed and generally “unhealthy” foods can weaken your immune system, making it easier for cancers to develop.
- Genetics: In many cases, a family history of oral cancer can put you at risk. You should make your dentist aware of any family history of cancer.
Signs of Oral Cancer
There are many symptoms that can indicate the presence of oral cancer, which makes it essential to contact our office if you notice any of the following:
- Persistent pain in the mouth
- White or red patches
- Difficulty swallowing, chewing, or speaking
- Sensitivity in the mouth, jaw, or neck
- Pain in the ears
- Sores in the mouth
- Unexplained sore throat, hoarseness, or cough
- Changes in texture on the interior of your mouth, lips, tongue, and gums
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms for a period of time longer than two weeks, it’s paramount to call our office right away. Early detection is key to treating oral cancer.
Oral Cancer Screenings Are Quick and Painless
Smile Moore Dentistry performs oral cancer screenings at every visit. Our dental team will inspect your mouth for any abnormalities, including growths and tumors. Our staff is trained to detect oral cancer and other issues, which allows us to provide our patients with the highest quality dental care.
If we discover something abnormal in your mouth, we may perform a biopsy or refer you to a cancer specialist for further investigation. We act quickly, so you can take care of dental issues as they happen. Waiting for treatment or screening can dramatically change the course of your condition.
Accurate Oral Cancer Screenings in Buford, GA
Catch any hazards to your dental health in their early stages with our professional oral cancer screenings at Smile Moore Dentistry in Buford, Georgia. For more information on our oral health services or to schedule an appointment online or send us a message here.